Table of contents
My name is Thomas
I’m a father of three sons, the oldest two being twins. I live with my kids and girlfriend in Norway. I’m in my mid-30s and find computers with Linux, electronics and home automation things pretty fascinating. I’m also a big fan of red wine, Whisky, and cigars.
Between work and family, there isn’t a lot of time left. I use it mostly in my home office/man-cave. A 10.5 m2 (113 ft2) room in the basement, where I tinker with my homelab and electronics projects. I try to write about it.
If you’d like to get to know me even better — I have an entire page about my story.
If you enjoy my writings — there is a feed you can subscribe to.
OS of choice
- Workstations: Arch Linux
- Server: Ubuntu
- Mobile: Android
- Desktop computer
- Intel Xeon X5680 3.33GHz, 12 GB RAM
- Samsung 34” LED Curved S34E790C monitor
- Corsair Gaming STRAFE RGB keyboard
- Logitech G602 wireless mouse
- Thinkpad X250
- Thinkpad T450s
- Nexus 6P
About this website
- open-source, code is hosted on my Gitea instance
- statically generated by Hugo, using the Hello Friend theme
- built and hosted by ZEIT Now
- images optimized and hosted by BunnyCDN
- videos encoded by Coconut and hosted by BunnyCDN
I aim to keep it simple, clean, and uncluttered.
If you are interested in seeing what I have planned for, and currently ongoing on the website — it’s all in my Notion worklist.
So what does it cost per month to keep a website like this going?
|ZEIT Now||Hosting & DNS||$0|
|BunnyCDN||CDN & image optimizer||$10 1|
|Coconut||Video encoding||$1 2|
- The image optimizer is $9.5; the rest is pay-as-you.go.
- About one hour of encoding time, at $0.015 per minute.
I first got the domain uctrl.net back in 2009, uctrl.org in 2017, and uctrl.dev in 2019. The “u” represents both μ (micro) and you, “ctrl” is of course control. Both meanings appeal to me.
- Micro control (μCtrl)
- You control (uCtrl)
- In control of own data
I think it’s a short and sweet domain name with lots of relevant meanings related to my interests and my writings.
Here are some blogs that I have looked to for inspiration;
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.